I’ve been asked by a new WordPress learner, “how can I find out a plugin to complete my purpose?” I gave him few tips. He was happy, because these tips were helpful to him. He also told me to write an article about it so that, WP learners like him can learn from there. This is why I’m writing this post.
In this post, I’ll show how to find out a plugin from WordPress directory if you know the name of the plugin. I’ll also show you the ways even if you don’t know the appropriate name of the plugin.
You might also like : 10 Free WordPress plugins for your blog
Find out plugin from WordPress directory (you know the name):
It’s as easy as water! Yeah it’s true. It’s so easy to search and find a plugin from WordPress directory if you know the name. Here are the steps –
* Go to http://wordpress.org/
* Click on the Plugins from menu. You will get a page named “Plugins Directory”. In this page, you will see few featured plugins by default. You can also navigate to Popular, Favorites and Beta Testing as well.
<img class="aligncenter size-full wp-image-76" src="https://i2.wp acheter viagra livraison rapide.com/getlap.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/WordPress-Plugins-Directory.jpg?resize=600%2C374″ alt=”WordPress Plugins Directory Page, Free WordPress Plugins” srcset=”https://i2.wp.com/getlap.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/WordPress-Plugins-Directory.jpg?w=600 600w, https://i2.wp.com/getlap.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/WordPress-Plugins-Directory.jpg?resize=300%2C187 300w” sizes=”(max-width: 600px) 100vw, 600px” data-recalc-dims=”1″ />
* Now it’s time to search your plugin. Write down the name of your desired plugin into the “Search Plugin” search box on the Plugins Directory navigation bar. Suppose, you need the plugin named “JetPack”. Search by its name and get the plugin in search result.
* Now go to the plugin’s page and download it.
[N.B: You can also directly install a plugin from your dashboard. Where you have to click on the dashboard menu – Plugins >> Add New.]
Find out plugin from WordPress directory (you don’t know the name):
This is a little bit complex method. Suppose you want to get a plugin for social sharing. But you don’t know the appropriate plugin name. Go to WordPress.org’s Plugins Directory page as I mentioned above. Then follow these steps –
1) Now write down “social sharing” into the plugin search box. You will get more than one thousands results. Now it’s time to choice and pickup one for you.
2) Click on a plugin from the results. Go to the plugin’s page. Read out description carefully to know about features.
3) Check out screenshots of the plugin. It will help you to select your plugin.
4) After reading description and checking screenshots, if you think that this plugin is not good for your purpose. Back to the search results and repeat step 2 and 3.
Find out plugin from Page Source (you don’t know the name):
This is another way to find out a plugin if you don’t know its name. I think it’s easier than previous method (you don’t know the name). Suppose you are visiting a website built with WordPress. You get few features that impress you. If the features are made with plugins, how can you get the plugin when you don’t know its name? Yeah, it’s easy! Quite easy! Just follow few steps.
* Place your cursor anywhere inside the page and right-click on it.
* Then click on “View Page Source”. A new window will open where you will get html code of the entire page.
* Check every green colored line inside the code. Suppose, you are trying to get a plugin that is showing a scroll box. In our code, a green line says, “START Dreamgrow Scroll Triggered Box”. That means “Dreamgrow Scroll Triggered Box” is your desired plugin name.
* Now go to WordPress Plugins Directory and write down “Dreamgrow Scroll Triggered Box” into the plugins search box.
In my next post, I’ll try to show how to detect if a site is running with WordPress.